VAT Senior Manager – In House up to £90,000
If you are an experienced Senior VAT Manager, this is an ideal opportunity support the management of the tax affairs for a global law firm. Note this is an in house role and is non client facing. Reporting directly to the Head of Tax this will be a senior role within the tax management team. This is a new role within the Partnership Tax Team. This role will allow a dedicated resource for partners and billing teams to help resolve billing queries, and to provide advice, training, to develop and implement policies globally for indirect taxes.
- Provide technical advice to UK and regional offices on indirect tax issues;
- Review, document, critically assess and seek to improve VAT / GST reporting processes for UK and regional offices;
- Provide ad hoc technical indirect tax advice to both UK and overseas regional offices;
- Stay up to date on indirect tax news and developments, with appropriate communication to the relevant teams / stakeholders where required;
- Provide training to UK and overseas Partners, Finance and Billing teams on technical indirect tax issues, as and when required;
- Set up of VAT / GST registration and compliance functions for any offices opened in new regions;
- Review, assess and strengthen global and regional billing policies and / or dispensations from policy;
- Develop and implement global and / or regional billing policies where required;
- Review and assess compliance with billing policies,
- Effective management of the indirect tax costs of doing business, with identification of indirect tax cost / cash flow opportunities that may be available, whilst ensuring that the correct amount of tax is reported and remitted;
- Work to ensure that the firm is fully compliant with local indirect tax laws in the territories in which the firm operates;
Your responsibilities will include:
- Resolve significant issues on particular client matters and work with offices to strengthen the governance of the billing process.
- Resolve ad hoc queries that come up e.g.:
- Transactional taxes
- Amendments to existing indirect tax law, which requires process of systems changes to implement for the firm
- Support for cross-border issues
- Assist partners and billing teams globally to ensure matters are properly set up at inception, taking account of relevant indirect tax issues, identifying the correct client and billing office in our global billing system.
- Create more definition around billing procedures generally (documentation and support) and help implement stronger controls and governance over the billing process generally.
- Maintain and control cross-border arrangements and ensure appropriate processes and documentation exists.
- Periodically review VAT reconciliations globally to ensure that the most appropriate treatment is being applied to all categories of income and expenditure.
- Work with office finance teams globally to ensure that accounting for VAT / GST etc. is being properly controlled and also assisting office finance teams to ensure that reconciliations are performed locally between local statutory accounting systems and the firm-wide Oracle based system.
- Develop a strong relationship with international finance teams
- Ensure that cross-border billing policies are regularly reviewed and updated / enhanced as required.
- Provide training and relevant materials to billing teams generally to ensure that the firm’s policies are properly understood and implemented.
- Assist in adapting the firm’s accounting systems as required to cope with tax law changes or changes in practice; work with systems teams and local offices when local solutions are required.
- Develop a strategy for monitoring indirect tax compliance generally, including building links with internal audit and the core accounting operations.
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.