VAT Manager – In House – Birmingham
We are looking for a VAT Manager to collate client information, complete and submit VAT returns on time using the Wise platform. Subject to the qualifying criteria, the individual will be required to obtain UTR and VAT numbers, registering clients for the Flat Rate VAT (FRV) scheme. In addition, the VAT Manager will provide advice to clients on VAT and UTR queries.
How you will spend your time.
- Responsible for compiling and submitting VAT (indirect) returns and where appropriate, signing clients up for the FRV scheme. Manage the process with HMRC
- Overseeing registrations, de-registrations and acting as HMRC agent for clients
- Quarterly VAT returns, transfer of unpaid debts/obligations, first level VAT queries
- Understanding Making Tax Digital (MTD) requirements and the implications for Wise Tax
- Ensuring VAT return information is complete, liaising with the Treasury Manager to establish income and expenses
- Validating client information on suitability for the FRV scheme
- Overseeing Wise VAT Registration and UTR teams
As indirect tax SME:
- Providing technical support and advice relating to indirect tax issues, with the support of external advisors where applicable
- Staying up to date with and communicating the impact of changes to indirect tax regulations. Providing support for implementation of resulting tax law changes to tax master data, processes and systems
- Acting as the main point of contact to the business, providing advice on the strategy for managing indirect tax investigations (formal tax audits and information enquiries from Tax Authorities) on all VAT and indirect tax related matters as required
- Managing relationships with external advisors and the business
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines
- Able to manage own workload independently whilst being part of a larger team
- Able to deal with ambiguity, imprecise or incomplete data, understanding other people’s time constraints in requesting information and delivering practical advice
- Able to communicate with drivers
- ACA / ACCA / CTA / IIT qualified or equivalent qualification (preferred but not essential)
- Proven UK, other EU VAT, or an equivalent indirect tax track record
- Strong team working and influencing skills
- Working knowledge of the indirect tax system, with a strong technical tax base
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong understanding of indirect tax compliance processes, with knowledge of ERP and technology solutions preferred
- Experience of handling client money
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.