U.S. Tax Director
Job Description Summary:
As US Tax Director, you will lead US federal and state income tax team. As a member of the Tax Leadership Team, you will be responsible for partnering effectively across Group Finance and the broader business to ensure tax obligations are well managed and understood. The principle focus of the role will be ensuring the company’s US tax obligations are met. However, given the company’s global nature and complex corporate structure, the role requires proven experience in a multinational business environment.
Strong tax technical capabilities across US corporate, partnership and international tax disciplines will be essential to your success in this role. Passion for developing and growing your team is as important to us as technical ability. You will lead a team of federal and state income tax professionals who belong to a larger, cross-jurisdictional Global Tax team led from Australia. To be successful, you will need to bring energy and enthusiasm to the people leadership aspects of the role, acting as a role model and inspiring in others a desire to learn and to challenge the status quo. You will report directly to the Global Head of Tax, based in Sydney, Australia. You will be trusted and empowered to manage the day-to-day operations of our US direct tax function, within a budget that is set centrally by Group Finance. This includes various engagements with external advisors. It will be important for you to develop strong working relationships with our advisors whilst at the same time ensuring you are continuously driving value from our engagements with them.
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of tax compliance and reporting for US federal, state, IFRS and GAAP requirements by maintaining current knowledge of laws, regulations, accounting, and reporting standards, while advising management on needed actions
- Oversee half-year and year-end US tax provisions and disclosures
- Oversee all aspects of domestic compliance and audits including federal and state income tax returns and other filings
- Monitor the tax landscape, research, and interpret, and assist with the ongoing analysis of tax positions and internal controls to identify and address potential tax burdens and risks
- Analyze business and financial forecasts to provide insights on future effective tax rates and cash taxes
- Identify, recommend, and implement opportunities to optimize US tax position and improve tax efficiency
- Partner with the Tax Leadership Team to establish and implement short and long-term tax strategies
- Provide support for US mergers and acquisitions, proposed and contemplated transactions, audits and ad hoc projects
- Improve tax function effectiveness by identifying and implementing standard methodologies and tools
- Actively partner across the organization to stay current with business developments and identify, assess and communicate related US tax implications
- Manage, coach and mentor 2-3 direct reports and serve as leader to the broader US-based team who report to them
- Support the Tax Team and the business with ad-hoc tax issues as they arise
- Manage the day-to-day relationships with our external advisors
- 10+ years’ experience as a senior tax manager or above in a “Big 4” public accounting firm, or as senior manager / director in an in-house corporate tax department for a multinational organization
- CPA or BA in accounting, with a masters in tax viewed favorably but not essential
- Strong speaking, writing and collaboration skills
- Experience managing teams and partnering across an organization to achieve team goals and company objectives
- Experience implementing and managing tax compliance and reporting technologies, and finance and analytical technologies
- An authentic leader who practices empathy, care and understanding. A leader who measures their success based on the achievements of the team, who provides teachable learning experiences for others to benefit from, and who believes in the importance of creating and maintaining a fun and enjoyable work environment every day.
- Comprehensive experience in income tax across corporate, partnership, state income tax, international tax and transfer pricing disciplines
- Ability to review tax provision calculations and provide ongoing technical training to the team, leveraging your in-depth understanding of tax accounting principles under IFRS and US GAAP
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to work cohesively with external advisors and other team members across the globe
- Ability to handle multiple cross-functional projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment and bring them to a conclusion, delivering on or ahead of time and communicating effectively to manage the expectations of all stakeholders
- Strong technology skills with proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of products is essential. Knowledge and experience of analytics tools including PowerQuery, PowerBI, Alteryx, and robotic automation tools will be viewed favorably
- Experience with Thomson Reuters “OneSource” tax software is preferred, but not essential as training will be provided to the successful candidate if required
The SR Group (UK) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.