Transactions tax senior manager
Our Client is a specialist tax law firm focusing on advice to companies, owner managed businesses and the individuals behind them on business tax issues. In particular, those associated with organisational change and business succession. It was established 10 years ago by two very experienced partner level individuals with big firm backgrounds who decided that they wanted to offer tax legal services outside the traditional structure and confines of a large commercial law firm.
Our Client also assists clients with the corporate legal work required to implement the tax advice provided by it and other professional service firms.
On 1 April 2022 our client became part-owned by a national practice to assist our clients in the next stage of their growth:
The wider group provides complementary specialist tax services enabling enabling them to call upon specialist support where appropriate to assist in delivering to their clients a more complete service to clients.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a growing entrepreneurial tax practice that will provide exposure and opportunities to work alongside a wide variety of clients and help to develop the firm’s advisory practice.
The ideal candidate will be a Senior Tax Manager or Tax Director in practice in a middle tier firm – preferably in a Top 50 firm but definitely in a Top 100 firm. The candidate must have good business and personal skills including an ability to draft well written advice to clients with good attention to detail. They will have a track record of attracting and retaining clients because of the quality of the service given. The candidate should have a willingness to learn and advise at times on areas which may be outside their core area of expertise (with appropriate support). The successful candidate will work closely with a tax partner and be responsible for service delivery implementation and client relationship management.
- Advising owner managed businesses and their owners on the tax issues associated with organisational change and business succession, including:
- buy-out structures (including private equity structures)
- sales to employee ownership trusts
- reconstructions and reorganisations
- demergers, and
- share buy backs
to include advice on capital gains tax, corporation tax and income tax (including employment taxes) and national insurance contributions
- Advising owner managed businesses on employee equity incentivisation structures, including enterprise management incentives and growth shares, including in particular advice on employment tax and national insurance considerations
- Advising on family investment company structures (an understanding of inheritance tax/private client tax issues would be helpful)
- Advising on venture capital reliefs
- Advising property investors and developers on property structures and exit strategies
- Working closely with a partner to manage client relationships and service delivery
- Liaising with third party professionals including corporate financiers, solicitors and other tax advisers, including in the context of transactions involving multiple parties
- Interpreting tax legislation and remaining up to date with changes
- Management of client files and administration
- Provision of tax technical support to other colleagues
- Overview and reviews of tax projects before finalisation
- Tax qualified, and ideally a member of the Chartered Institute of Tax (CIOT)
- Experience and training in a top tier and/or middle tier firm
- Familiarity with working within a corporate and commercial environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver results
- Good business and personal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including to draft well written advice with good attention to detail and to supervise and manage more junior team members
- Experience within a Manager/ Director level role with dealing with owner managed business clients
- Willingness to learn and advise at times on areas which may be outside their core area of expertise
- Ability to manage a client file and engagement from start to finish
- Ability to critically review work and develop and train staff
- Ability to problem solve and strong attention to detail
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to multitask and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines
- Confidence in their own ability, and a desire to take on challenge.
- Good at objection handling and managing client expectations
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.