City of London, London
9 months ago
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in a truly international environment, this is a senior expert role, suitable for only those who are looking to step away from a front line role, to employ their experience in helping make an existing function better.
The candidate should, by nature, be able to:
- Critically appraise the status quo
- Present alternative solutions grounded in their practical, fact-based industry experience and
- Communicate their findings clearly and logically with a view to making a persuasive case for change in a smooth manner
It is expected that the candidate possesses the capability to span the spectrum of Foreign Exchange, from strategy through to risk management.
Sitting independent of the Foreign Exchange Risk Management Department, the Foreign Exchange Risk Expert would be part of the Treasury Risk Control Department, complementing a team of other senior employees, each with their own fields of expertise in the Treasury domain.
The role comes with a primary responsibility - to help make the Foreign Exchange Management Department within Treasury better. The Foreign Exchange Risk Expert should have the interpersonal skills, expertise and vision to proactively determine the tasks to achieve this. In general, the role is to assess and advise on all aspects of the Group's foreign exchange risk management activities, including:
- Developments in best practice, especially for corporates and including hedging instruments and strategies
- External environmental changes,
- Identification, measurement and control of risks,
- Valuation techniques for net exposures and hedging instruments,
- Tools, procedures and systems used,
- Deployment of appropriate technologies and emerging vendors/ banking services, and
- Process enhancements.
- 15+ years working in Finance, predominantly within the management of foreign exchange risk,
- 5+ years working for a non-financial institution,
- working within a multi-cultural environment of a large and geographically diverse corporation,
- understanding foreign exchange regulatory requirements and legal issues, particularly in illiquid currency markets,
- managing foreign exchange risk in global markets, with diverse hedging instruments and practices,
- integrating operational systems and requirements,
- using Treasury Management Systems such as SunGard Quantum, and
- applying accounting principles, including Hedge Accounting, to FX decision making.
Technical skills and knowledge
- knowledge of the very latest foreign exchange risk management techniques, used by corporates and financial institutions, in developed and emerging markets,
- knowledge of FX strategy and risk models, and risk management frameworks,
- working knowledge of Bloomberg,
- ability to understand and present concise summaries of complex FX related issues,
- good PowerPoint skills,
- professional knowledge of Treasury and Accounting, including hedge accounting
- the candidate must have exceptional communication skills, sharing information with and receiving information in a smooth way,
- strong influencing ability, underpinned by strengths in problem solving, logical thinking and a confident communication style,
- an ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization, including senior management, in an inspiring and compelling manner is a critical skill that will determine success or failure for this role,
- the candidate must be able to break down complex challenges using simple and clear logic to develop strategic responses that are simple to communicate and which are supported by facts, data, evidence & compelling logic,
- Being challenged is part and parcel of the role, and facts, data and logic are employed as a means to assess the viability of findings,
- emphasis is placed in delivering high quality and innovative solutions,
- capable of maintaining objectivity and credibility when challenged,
- confident and self-motivated, with a proven ability to forge cooperation, collaboration and partnerships,
- a positive attitude which embraces change and challenges, and under stress still manages emotions,
- high level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to handle confidential matters professionally, and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity, and
- high degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with little supervision.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.