Indirect Tax Principle – FTSE 100 – Telecommunications Co
The role holder will lead the VAT team, generating value, managing risk and ensuring indirect tax compliance across the business. The role will be predominantly UK-focussed, reflecting the fact that group principal operations are in the UK, where the majority of customers, people, functions and assets are located (annual VAT collected ~£2bn).
He/she will be responsible for helping to provide financial leadership to translate strategy into practical solutions and day-to-day working practices as well as driving transformation across indirect tax processes.
- Lead for VAT advisory work and implementation of Group Tax strategy.
- Lead and support lobbying and management of VAT issues with HMRC, including management of HMRC’s indirect tax strategy and focus for the group.
- Operate and improve the engagement strategy for CFUs/CUs and TUs to promote VAT awareness and hold them to account for their responsibilies.
- Group Tax Business Partner for Enterprise and Consumer CFUs.
- Responsible for indirect tax litigation approach/strategy and ensuring adherence to group tax risk framework.
- Accountable for UK VAT compliance undertaken by the VAT compliance team.
- Operate and improve second line of defence controls for non-UK indirect taxes.
- Lead on indirect tax input/considerations in connection with finance transformation programmes and regulatory changes for the Group/CFUs/TUs/CUs
- Work in close partnership with group finance shared services organisation to drive indirect tax process improvements.
- Educate, support and challenge the VAT team and wider stakeholders, ensuring VAT is placed in the wider business context.
- Manage uncertainty with a significant value.
- Design, establish and maintain indirect tax policies and processes specific to the Group/CFUs/TUs/CUs.
- Ensure adherence and lead reporting on the indirect tax control framework for the Group/CFUs/TUs/CUs.
- Represent group externally at tax and industry forums, groups and events.
- Fully qualified accountant / Tax Adviser
- Externally recognised Subject Matter Expert with at least 10 years’ experience of leading indirect tax projects and disputes/litigation in a large complex UK/international business.
- Proven experience of communicating VAT matters to multiple audiences within a large business / organisation.
- Strong external network to ensure good industry knowledge, fresh thinking and challenge.
- Proven experience of managing a team, ideally with employees based in different locations or regions.
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.