Indirect tax lead
Rare opportunity to join a fast growing Insurance group in a greenfield role. We are looking to find an experienced Indirect Tax professional to join as part of the Group Tax function. This is an opportunity to lay robust foundations for the Indirect Tax function with the aim of supporting a growing, global business. The Group operates with a small core team and significant outsourced service provision (including tax compliance and financial reporting). This position will report directly to our Head of Tax and work with colleagues responsible for Corporate Tax and Employment Tax. As part of the wider Finance team, the Tax function closely collaborates with, and supports, Underwriting, Investment, Finance, Actuarial, Regulatory, Legal amongst other business functions. You will influence the further shaping of the Tax function, making use of best-in-class data and automating processes where possible.
- Business Partnering and decision support on indirect tax matters
- Assume responsibility for the Group VAT strategy
Provide effective indirect tax support on transactions and projects, working collaboratively with the rest of Group Tax, internal stakeholders and advisers
Give insight into indirect tax implications as a result of structural changes to the business
- Prepare and finalise VAT returns (including Annual Adjustments and Capital Goods Scheme calculations) and manage the overall compliance process, and calculation of post-return journals including balance sheet reconciliations
- Review pre-submission returns prepared by advisors where outsourced
- Ensure all relevant HMRC correspondence is handled promptly and effectively
- Maintain and update the VAT Group and other VAT registrations as required, including the preparation of VAT grouping and de-grouping forms
- For new and existing entities, determine the optimum VAT registration solution (VAT Group or stand-alone VAT registration).
- Be a collaborative team member and assist others in the tax team as necessary
- Review IPT returns, ensure they are submitted on time and manage relationship with advisers
- Provide support as required to the rest of Group Tax on the preparation of risk and governance documentation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal stakeholders and third parties e.g. advisers and tax authorities
- Support the business with indirect tax queries and provide training as required
- Monitor and assess the impact of changes in indirect tax legislation affecting the Group (UK and international)
- Provide support for other projects and business initiatives as required
- Qualified tax professional with several years of experience gained within the Insurance sector. This could be in-house or within Practice, where you would have worked within Tax Advisory or Tax Compliance
- Experience within VAT and IPT globally, combined with knowledge of cross-border transactions
- Knowledge of and expertise in with-holding tax would be advantageous
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- The desire to work as part of a fast-paced, high performing team, including outsourced providers
- Good attention to detail and a strong control environment understanding and preference
- Flexible, responsible and pro-active approach in a changing environment
- Good understanding of accounting principles and interdependencies with tax
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.