Director of Tax Operations
Job Title / Reporting to:
Director, Tax Operations / Reporting to Executive Vice President, Tax, Treasurer, Corporate Secretary
Position will have direct reports.
- Responsible for U.S. Federal and State income tax compliance for C-Corporations, Partnerships and Joint Ventures working closely with co-sourced service providers and internal Tax Managers.
- Oversight and management of the consolidated tax accounting and reporting package, working closely with the co-sourced service provider. Interact with the attest auditors to facilitate their review of the tax accounting package in accordance with ASC 740. Includes managing the quarterly and year-end tax closing and reporting process, the FIN 18 tax rate and provision calculations, effective tax rate analysis, legal entity tax basis balance sheets, and identifying discreet items on a legal entity basis.
- Assist the EVP of Tax to analyze, manage and favorably resolve income and indirect tax audit issues and controversies and establish proper tax reserves.
- The role acts as the main liaison between the various finance groups within the organization and the external co-sourced service provider. A main objective is to ensure the data is accurate and flows timely between all parties as needed. The incumbent must focus on continuous process improvement.
Essential Job Duties
- Manage current and deferred tax reporting for all domestic and foreign legal entities pursuant to ASC 740, including FIN 18 interim tax accounting reporting. Includes analysis and determination of valuation allowances, APB 23 and FAS 52 translation adjustments.
- Analyze potential tax exposures and determine appropriate tax reserves pursuant to Company policy, ASC 740, FIN 48 and FAS 5. Prepare and maintain all required documentation to support tax reserves and for discussion with attest auditors.
- Manage tax footnotes and other income tax disclosures for SEC filings.
- Manage and analyze legal entity current and forecasted P&L’s and evaluate income tax accounting issues. Analyze monthly variances to determine impact on tax accounting.
- Manage quarterly SOX 404 internal control procedures for tax accounting and ensure all processes are properly documented and tested. Coordinate with internal and attest auditors for control testing.
- Research and implement new accounting pronouncements relevant to tax accounting. Liaise with Corporate Accounting, tax consultants, and attest auditors on emerging tax accounting issues.
- Manage tax account reconciliation policies and procedures.
- Assist EVP with research, planning and analysis for U.S. state & local operations and North American indirect tax functions with the objective of developing and implementing strategies that minimize tax exposures and liabilities while ensuring compliance with all applicable tax laws
- Manage and oversee state & local corporate income tax, partnership, joint venture, sales/use tax, and real & personal property tax to ensure compliance with all applicable tax laws and that all tax returns are filed accurately and timely
- Work closely with business operations to ensure all necessary filing requirements are satisfied and to optimize tax planning on the front-end of operational expansion or other initiatives
- Implement and monitor process improvements/changes to correct processes that led to unfavorable audit issues and ensure they are not repeated in operations and compliance functions
- Monitor and provide analysis of legislative and regulatory developments and ensure enacted law changes are incorporated into the operations and compliance functions
- Develop and manage the tax depreciation and tax gains and losses on revenue earning equipment and fixed asset disposition processes.
- Work closely with co-source service provider to identify opportunities for process and automation improvements and help develop and implement the improvements.
- Provide tax input for financial budgets, imputed income, cash tax forecasts, accounting entries, deferred tax analysis, and financial accounting.
- Coordinate and manage the Federal and State income tax calendars, estimated tax payments, service provider fees and reporting of cash taxes.
- Assist in providing technical spreadsheet support and analysis for tax planning on acquisitions, restructurings and other strategic projects (i.e., what-ifs, gain/loss calculations, §382) to determine U.S. tax and business implications. Opportunities for involvement in numerous tax, treasury and business special projects will be available throughout the year.
- Analyze the facts and circumstances of significant book transactions and determine applicable tax treatment in accordance with the relevant tax authority.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Accounting. Master’s Degree in Taxation and CPA preferred.
- Minimum ten years of tax experience with a mix in public accounting and public multi-national companies. Must have public company experience including FIN 18 interim reporting.
- An active learner that is detail oriented.
- A proactive self-starter with the ability to prioritize responsibilities and complete work timely and accurately with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to professionally represent the tax department when interacting with management, other functions in the Company and outside advisors.
- Strong problem solving, organizational and time management skills are a must to complete multiple assignments on a timely basis.
- Strong process management, improvement, and documentation skills with the ability to develop and implement “Best Practice” processes to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Strong implementation & execution skills.
- Strong technical and analytical skills.
- Strong applied knowledge base of GAAP rules, C-Corporations and Partnerships.
- Proficient with excel and other microsoft office products.
- Proficient in Sarbanes Oxley 404 rules and their application to all tax functions.
The SR Group (UK) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.