Tax Manager roles within Professional Services
Within the profession, a Tax Manager position is a vital and highly sought after role which often offers the chance to undertake technically challenging work whilst managing a team, and taking responsibility for identifying and capitalising on business development opportunities. It offers the chance to work at some of the most recognisable accountancy firms, law firms and consultancy practices in the world. Whilst the day-to-day responsibilities will vary between firms, a Tax Manager is expected to take a lead on tax related issues and act as a trusted advisor to clients.
A Tax Manager will often work with a variety of clients so adaptability and strong interpersonal skills are key to their success. Typical responsibilities can include:
- Managing and overseeing tax compliance
- Providing advice on a broad range of tax technical issues
- Acting as the first point of contact on client engagements
- Supporting and delivering on innovative solutions to clients
- Dealing with HMRC on technical matters
- Identifying business development opportunities with clients and supporting on proposal work
- Leading and mentoring more junior members of staff
Ideally, a Tax Manager will be ACA and/or CTA qualified (or overseas equivalent) with significant tax experience gained at another professional services firm. Individuals with in-house experience will be considered as well. The ability to exercise sound judgement and apply commercial thinking in making recommendations to clients is also key. Strong stakeholder management, self-motivation and the ability to manage projects are all qualities that make a good Tax Manager stand out.