Senior Tax Manager roles within Professional Services
Within the profession, a Senior Tax Manager position is a vital and highly sought after role which often offers the chance to undertake technically challenging work whilst managing a team, and taking responsibility for identifying and capitalising on business development opportunities. It offers the chance to work at some of the most recognisable accountancy firms, law firms and consultancy practices in the world. Whilst the day-to-day responsibilities will vary between firms, a Senior Tax Manager is expected to take a lead on tax related issues and act as a trusted advisor to clients.
Typical responsibilities of a Senior Tax Manager
- Providing advice on a broad range of tax technical issues
- Acting as the first point of contact on client engagements
- Building trusted client relationships with finance and tax leaders across a portfolio of organisations
- Leading project teams to deliver quality advisory projects
- Utilising your knowledge of best practice tax operations to advise clients on tax risk and governance, as well as other aspects of their tax operating models
- Delivering innovative solutions to clients
- Dealing with HMRC on technical matters
- Helping to identify strategic ways to grow the business through business development opportunities
- Leading on proposal work
- Managing and mentoring more junior members of staff
- What expertise is required?
Typically, a Senior Tax Manager will be ACA and/or CTA qualified with significant tax experience in their chosen specialism(s). Individuals will have a proven track record of leading on client engagements and possess the ability to balance competing priorities to manage their workload as well as client expectations. Strong interpersonal skills and an adaptable approach will be key. In addition, the desire to lead a team and grow a business will be imperative to one’s success.